Thursday 9 September 2010

Mama's Boy

So so proud of my niece Leilani today who showed a spider exactly who's the boss.  I have completely irrational fear of spiders given that I am probably a hundred times their size (maybe a bit more at the moment...) but it's the legs!  And the speed with which they use those legs.

A few days ago whilst on the phone to my sister Cait, Jon pointed out that there was a spider poking it's legs out from underneath our fire.  I instantly pulled my legs up underneath me and put on my 'scared for my life face' and begged Jon to get it.  This was followed by much whimpering and squealing until he did get up to catch it, especially when it evaded him and headed for the bookshelf - a safe haven if ever it saw one.  Thankfully Jon managed to trap it in his bare hands (my brave, brave hero!), and asked me to open the back door so he could let it out.  I made him wait in the middle of the room until I had opened the door and retreated to a point of safety halfway up the stairs, just in case the spider made a break for it before being released.  Ordeal over.

Until the next morning.

After breakfast I went upstairs to shower and Jon was in the bathroom.  He said "Are you going to have a shower?"  To which I said "I was but if you want to go in first that's fine."  He smiled and said "It's not that, look."  I looked in the bath and there was the MOTHER OF ALL SPIDERS!!!!  It was seriously huge!  The spider from the night before had obviously gone running to his mummy, it's Italian Mama at that (you know the type, big and protective) and said "They were mean to me!" and she decided we needed to be taught a lesson.  And to make things even worse Jon excitedly called Hayley in and showed her the spider and said "Watch this!" and poked the spider and both of them giggled as it sped round and round the bath.

I had to take refuge in the bedroom until I could be certain Mama was gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment